By Maurice R. Berube
The function of the president of the USA in regard to schooling replaced considerably following the tip of worldwide warfare II. because the U.S. financial system grew to become extra refined and the rustic emerged because the dominant technological and international strength, the call for for an informed workforce elevated. during this paintings, Maurice R. Berube bargains the 1st accomplished research of the involvement of yankee presidents in academic coverage, tracing the efforts of administrations from Washington to Bush, and chronicling the nationwide and overseas pressures to form academic regulations that experience characterised the post-World battle II period. Berube's paintings takes the shape of a coverage examine as he analyzes presidential courses in schooling, the explanations for his or her implementation, and their correlation to nationwide academic results. starting with the start of the presidency, he examines profitable courses that had a substantial effect and not more profitable efforts that have been major both ideologically or as forerunners of destiny rules. The constitutional constraints of the president's position in schooling are explored, in addition to fresh advancements together with the company presidency and the rhetorical presidency. one of the different concerns addressed are schooling and the financial system and the federal and kingdom constitutions' perspectives of a correct to schooling. This paintings might be a distinct and priceless source for college students of presidential heritage, the politics of schooling, and modern matters in schooling, in addition to a tremendous addition to public and educational library collections.
Read or Download American Presidents and Education: (Contributions to the Study of Education) PDF
Best administration books
'Every college a good institution' isn't just a slogan, yet an aspiration for the subsequent degree of schooling reform, within which every one scholar has the chance to arrive their complete capability. The publication argues that, for 'every tuition an exceptional college' to develop into a fact, calls for a flow from person college development efforts and brief time period goals to a sustainable system-wide reaction that seeks to re-establish a stability among nationwide prescription and faculties best reform.
Faculties and universities are on the vanguard of efforts to maintain the earth’s assets for destiny generations. Carbon neutrality, renewable strength assets, eco-friendly construction options, and similar tasks require trained and brave leaders in any respect degrees of upper schooling. James Martin and James E.
Gender within the Vampire Narrative addresses problems with masculinity and femininity, unpacking cultural norms of gender. This assortment demonstrates the way in which that representations of gender within the vampire narrative traverse a wide scope of expectancies and tropes. The textual content bargains school room prepared unique essays that define modern debates approximately sexual objectification and gender norms utilizing the lens of the vampire with a purpose to study the methods these roles are undone and strengthened via pop culture via a particular emphasis on cultural fears and anxieties approximately gender roles.
How can apps be used to foster studying with literacy around the curriculum? This e-book bargains either a theoretical framework for contemplating app affordances and functional how one can use apps to construct scholars’ disciplinary literacies and to foster quite a lot of literacy practices. utilizing Apps for studying around the Curriculum provides a variety of assorted apps and in addition assesses their price positive aspects tools for and apps concerning making plans guideline and assessing scholar studying identifies favourite apps whose affordances are probably to foster sure disciplinary literacies contains assets and apps for pro improvement offers examples of pupil studying within the lecture room an internet site (www.
- Improving Student Learning One Principal at a Time
- Teaching the Common Core Literature Standards in Grades 2–5: Strategies, Mentor Texts, and Units of Study
- Straight Talk for Principals
- Rethinking Educational Leadership: Challenging the Conventions (Published in association with the British Educational Leadership and Management Society)
- Encyclopedia of Educational Leadership and Administration 2-volume set (v. 1 & 2)
Additional resources for American Presidents and Education: (Contributions to the Study of Education)
46. Ibid. 47. As quoted in Cremin, American Education: The National Experience, p. 137. 48. , The Statesmanship of Andrew Jackson: As Told in His Writings and Speeches (New York: Tandy and Thomas, 1909), p. 50. 49. , p. 51. 50. Eugene F. , "Lincoln and Education," Educational Studies, Summer 1982, p. 198. 51. , p. 193. 52. Ibid. 53. , p. 199. 54. , p. 196. 55. , p. 198. 56. , p. 199. 57. , Colleges for Our Land and Time: The LandGrant Idea in American Education (New York: Harper and Brothers, 1957), p.
159. 75. , p. 456. 76. , p. 455. 77. Ibid. 78. David Burner, Herbert Hoover: A Public Life (New York: Knopf, 1979), p. 11. 79. Herbert Hoover, "First Annual Message to Congress, December 3, 1929," in The State Papers and Other Writings of Herbert Hoover, vol. 1, ed. : Doubleday and Doran, 1934), pp. 158-59. 80. , p. 162. 81. , p. 164. 82. Burner, Herbert Hoover, pp. 223-24. 3 Education for the Economy By the end of World War II, American education had become a national concern. The emergence of an economy that was technological in nature brought with it an awareness of the need for an educated work force.
36 American Presidents and Education The other economic variable was the specter of unemployment. The scars of the Great Depression of the 1930s were not completely healed. Despite the emergence of prosperity after World War II, Roosevelt's analysts had predicted a down economy after the war as returning veterans flooded the job market. 35 Such mass unemployment did not take place. I. Bill of Rights. Unemployment, however, was the main domestic issue on the minds of Roosevelt and Truman. Roosevelt pledged in November 1943 that "the first task after the war is to provide employment [to our veterans]...